The last remaining large pou figure created for the garden in Kelliher Estate, Puketutu Island, in the 1950’s. George Kelliher remembers this from his childhood, as part of a group of 4 Pouwhenua commissioned for the immediate garden by his father Sir Henry Kelliher. No records remain about the artist who carved these figures.
The Pouwhenua presumably deteriorated beyond repair, this last remaining one was almost unsalvageable with significant rot through its entire length and loss to major parts of its head and body. Possibly too much of a challenge not to undertake so after some serious consolidation, infilling and repainting, this Pou now sits in the Kelliher Charitable Trust building in Parnell beside Georges desk.